If you suspect you’re wasting time and money on marketing that won’t work… you’re probably right. Keep reading!
“A great program that not only provides highly relevant tactics but also a how-to guide for institutionalising growth, making it part of your DNA.
– Sohrab Jahanbani, Founder & CEO, Bidvine
The world’s most successful startups
Did not get their customers via ad agencies, paid search, tradeshows, consultants or armies of salespeople. Each one found different “silver bullets” but, they all followed a similar process. They focused on a “north star metric” and ran a series of quick simple “growth experiments” from a prioritised backlog of work. This kept the whole team aligned, focused, and moving quickly.
There is Nothing Magical
This process is not limited to startups. It does not require any special software or technical knowledge. It can work beautifully in large companies, to help them align and move faster. (I know from my later years at PayPal, and from my work with large private clients like Daimler’s innovation team.)
There’s Nothing Wrong with Facebook
Facebook ads, SEO and sales funnels can all be very effective tactics. Or they can be slow, wasteful and inefficient. The difference? The key is to start from a strong foundation, what we call “Five Core Strengths.”
GET CERTIFIED IN the 5 Core Strengths of Startup Growth
You’ll get a comprehensive foundational understanding of the 5 core strengths. Not just the buzzwords, you’ll get simple step-by-step exercises and templates to apply these lessons to your business. (We believe people learn by doing).
- Message – Which exact words will resonate with your target customers, boost conversion and lower CPAs? We show you how to read user psychology and leverage behavioral insights and interaction design to boost conversion and response rates, and identify viral potential. We also use those insights to find content and SEO opportunities to jumpstart organic growth.
- Metrics – You get what you measure. Is your growth strategy focused on the right levers? We’ll compare your core business metrics against proprietary benchmark data across the hundreds of companies around the world that we’ve advised, invested in, or evaluated. That lets us identify the key subset of behavioural metrics that will enable your team to focus, set and exceed performance goals, and find-and-mine the underleveraged opportunities in your customer journey.
- Focus – Every company can improve acquisition, but few can point to the exact levers to pull. Meanwhile, unfocused efforts are low impact efforts. We zoom in on the precise rate-limiting step that’s holding back your acquisition funnel. You’ll build and prioritise your growth experimentation backlog so your team can focus on the 10% of high impact, high likelihood wins that will enable you to exceed growth and fundraising goals.
- Process – Engineering organisations couldn’t function without prioritised backlogs and high cadence sprints. We believe growth is no different. We help you design and implement weekly sprints to pace your team against ambitious growth goals. You’ll fill and prioritise your backlog, and learn to test ideas quickly, even with limited traffic. You’ll design and execute high quality minimum viable tests (MVTs) to validate your key assumptions before undertaking long, hard or expensive growth projects.
- Team – A team is only as good as its people. How do you hire the best marketers in a competitive market? What are the right interviewing questions and techniques? Where should you jump in, and where should you stay hands-off? How do you model a “growth mindset” to encourage constant learning? How should you win their trust and respect?
By the End of the Course
By the end of the program, you’ll have a deep qualitative and quantitative understanding of how your business grows, enabling you to:
- Select the right KPIs (not vanity metrics)
- Align your team, your whole organisation, around those metrics
- Boost conversion through fast high-impact experiments
- Find “free” organic traffic
- Test and expand into new channels
- Increase engagement & retention
- Find new monetization opportunities
- Run fast experiments and minimum viable tests
- Hire & manage towards a “growth mindset”
The program works for both B2C and B2B businesses, and it’s full of up-to-date, relevant examples from the most successful startups.
- No fancy software subscriptions.
- No specialised tech or marketing knowledge.
- Even if you have almost no traffic.
- Or budget.
- You do need a good head on your shoulders, and a willingness to listen, learn and try new things.
This Course Includes
- In-Depth Training: 12 hours of instruction via on-demand video, plus written lessons from our team and other outside experts.
- Tons of examples: (before/after screenshots) of ideas that have worked for top startups.
- Step-by-step exercises: to apply these lessons to your business
- Online Q&A: with instructors and other students
- One-year access: both mobile and desktop
About Your Instructor
20 Years as a Marketer and VC: Matt Lerner developed and led the 500 Startups “Distro Dojo” growth program in Europe, which helped 35 startups achieve average annual growth of 250% year-on-year, and had a founder “likely to recommend” score of 96%.
He then launched Startup Core Strengths to offer that “dojo mojo” to startups across Europe.
Before joining 500 Startups, he spent 15 years building and running growth teams in the US at PayPal, and three much less famous silicon-valley startups. Matt lectures on startup marketing at Imperial College and Stanford Business School.
In terms of learning it was definitely the most valuable month of my career to date.”
-Curran Dye, Head of Marketing, Feast-It
I’m easily 4x better at my job now than I was 6 weeks ago.”
– Mark Tenhagen, Head of Growth, HonestBrew
For me, the program was like a second Oxford education.”
-Omid Pakseresht, Head of Marketing, Tramonex
Please understand our results are not typical. We’re not implying you’ll duplicate them!
We have years of experience building, backing, supporting, growing and running tech startups. The average person who reads a “tips and tricks” article every morning to make themselves feel clever, and then goes back to being reactive and following old habits, that person will get little or no result from this material.
Your results can and will vary and depend on many factors… including but not limited to your own talent and ability, level of effort and focus, and of course a bit of luck!
All business entails risk as well as massive and consistent effort and action. If you’re not willing to accept that, please do not register for this course. But if you are comfortable with the risks, and ready to take action, by all means, please register!
Growth, in business and in our lives, comes from perseverance: following a process of experimentation and learning. But a journey of a thousand miles begins with a step. And this is a great first step!